As the Holidays approach many people travel to see their out of state friends and family. Stay safe and be prepared this Holiday Season. These simple steps could prevent a 4-hour drive from becoming a roadside disaster!
- Service your car, as needed, before a road trip
- Check your car battery for corrosion or loose or cracked wires. If your battery is over 4 years old, you might want to consider replacing it. Dead or dying batteries are a common break down issue for travelers. Cold weather can affect your vehicles battery.
- Assess your tires. Be sure they are properly inflated and that your tread is not worn. Also look over your spare tire to be sure it’s in good shape and that you have all the tools necessary to change it, if needed.
- Be sure your windshield has optimal visibility. Inspect the windshield wipers and replace accordingly. Top off your windshield wiper fluid and be sure your front and rear defroster is working properly.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze up. The extra weight also helps avoid slippage in icy conditions.
- Be well rested before a long road trip, stop and rotate drivers, if possible
- Keep abrasive material (like kitty litter or sand) in your car to use for extra traction if you get stuck
- Make an Emergency Kit to keep in the car, include items such as: a shovel, boots, blankets, water, an ice scraper, jumper cables, a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, flares, a flashlight
If you drive into winter storm weather on the way to your destination, be cautious!
- Slow down
- Stay alert
- Increase the distance between the vehicles around you
- In the event of a skid, ease off the gas but do not brake (until the car is under control) and carefully steer into the direction you want the front of your car to move to
- Do not stop when driving uphill
- Be extra cautious on bridges and overpasses, they tend to ice quicker than regular roads
- If you get stuck, do not leave your vehicle
In addition, make sure you and your vehicle are properly insured. If you have any questions about auto and/or life insurance please call McLean Insurance’s highly knowledgeable advisers at 703-637-4331 or by filling the form below. For more information on auto insurance, please visit http://www.mcleaninsurance.com/services/personal-asset-insurance/auto-insurance/
We care about your safety. Always remember to wear your seat belt before operating a car and if you plan on drinking be sure to designate a sober driver. Enjoy the holiday season!
Request More Info On Contractor Insurance[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]